August 08, 2012

Day 39 - Coffee Marathon

I was up at 8am to have a coffee in the church and was given some muffins from the priest before he left to give a sermon. Before leaving town I located the laundromat and cleaned all my clothes. It was located in the basement of a gas station with a restaurant.

One of the ladies had seen me biking around town and told me to come upstairs to the restaurant to cook me breakfast. I was treated to pancakes, eggs, bacon, hash browns, and more coffee. She said I reminded me of one of her sons. I guess despite my gruff appearance I'm still fairly charming. Just another victim of youthful good looks.

With everything clean and a little too much eaten I went to leave town but got a flat in my front tire. Somehow the valve had partly ripped loose from the tube which made for a massive hole. There was no patching this and I was lucky to find the hardware store had one tube of the right size left.

With no more delays I was able to leave town and ride more of the same from yesterday. Hills and views of lake superior were the majority of the trip. I stopped for a break at a lookout and while eating some sausages, spotted a large bear crossing the train tracks in a valley below.

Later I settled in Marathon at the local campgrounds where a french cyclist approached me and despite the language barrier managed to communicate that he was cycling from Vancouver to Montreal. I'll settle here for the evening reading my book and listening to the amusingly loud geese and ravens on the lake near by.

No comments:

Post a Comment