August 13, 2012

Day 44 - Salut Sault

Today was a fairly lazy day. I didn't have much distance to cover so I did it slowly, stopping to read my book and relax as often as I liked. The ride itself wasn't anything out of the ordinary from the last few days. About 20 km from town I finally got cell service for the first time since Thunder Bay and after a barrage of emails and texts I was delighted to find my warmshowers contact had emailed me back and said whenever I show up to town is fine and that they had plenty of food so I should plan to be hungry. What good fortune I have to get such emails!

Sharon and Doug are a retired couple that live in the heavily wooded area of northern Sault Ste. Marie. I had no trouble finding the great house they built and was quickly shuffled in and showed to a cool room to call my own for the night. Doug cooked enough chicken and pesto to feed 8 people and we enjoyed quite a few of his you-brew-it beers before calling it a night. I had to smile at the irony that eating a big meal and having a few drinks then sleeping in a bed would be nothing out of the normal a few months ago but now it was the royal treatment. Makes you appreciate things.

Tomorrow I will get some stuff around town and possibly take a rest day and stay a second night as the hospitality Doug and Sharon have shown me will make it difficult to do otherwise (Doug mentioned about taking a break while pouring me up a beer, impossible to say no!). What is a cycle-hobo to do?

1 comment:

  1. It's heartwarming to know you can still meet good, kind people all over this country while on tour. Thanks to all for being generous participants in Justin's Tour Across Canada. Mom

    ReplyDelete